Event Date: 2018-10-18
IX MENA Conference
Between East and West – Middle East laboratory
Lecture Theatre A
Palace of Culture and Science, 12th floor
1 Defilad Square Warsaw 00-901, Poland
Planned as a joint initiative of the units of the Collegium Civitas in Warsaw, Faculty of International and Political Studies at the University of Lodz, Cathedral of the Middle East and North Africa, Center for Social and Economic Risks Collegium Civitas, Cultural Security Unit, The Cross Cultural Awareness Association and El Karama Foundation, the international conference will focus on social studies, security and political science perspectives on the research about the MENA area. The Conference will address issues related to the historical, political, economic, cultural and social aspects of the academic interests about the MENA.
- Kosovo Center of Diplomacy (KCD), Pristina, Kosovo
- The European Union and the Contemporary International Migration Interdisciplinary Approach
- Jagiellonian University: Faculty of International and Political Studies and Institute of the Middle and Far East
- Association of citizens “MONITOR” from Novi Pazar
- Security Review
Interdisciplinary and multidimensionality of research in security sciences reveal new areas of exploration as well as the necessity to search for and implement innovative research tools.
In recent years, in foreign literature, there is an increased interest in relations between security, culture, religion and politics and discussions that are going on around it. This undoubtedly influences the development of security and defense sciences and is the basis for solving many identified problems. Taking into account the number of Polish publications on this subject, it can be stated that in relation to the issues of national and international security in the MENA area, this state is still unsatisfactory.
The aim of the conference is to present the results of scientific research and exchange of views and experiences regarding contemporary security threats. We will undertake the challenge of dealing with problems focused on cultural security through the analysis of the causes, structures and challenges arising from contemporary armed conflicts and related cultural security. We will also undertake to identify the problems of the migration crisis, mainly in the context of broadly understood security threats. An important element of the analysis will also be “radicalization and deradicalization “and cooperation of civil and military environments.
During the conference, we would like to reflect on the impact and further evolution of threats in the area of security in the MENA region under investigation. In addition, we would like to analyze the broadly understood culture, tradition and religion and the conflicts surrounding it that affect modern security, and especially the threats terrorist.
We invite you to participate in the discussion in thematic panels:
- New movements and forms of spirituality, religion
- Libya during the transformation period
- Caucasus – terra incognito in security research
- Balkans – social and religious aspects of the region’s security
- The role of Iran in the region
- War in Syria and Iraq
- The role and future of the Kurds in the Middle East
- Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia – in the period of change
- The essence of the “AFPAK” area
- Media and their role in creating threats in the region
- Military operations in the MENA region
- Terrorism and the role of terrorist organizations in the region
- Radicalization and deradicalization of Muslims
- Civil-military cooperation, High Risk Area and activities in a different cultural environment
- Women and their role in shaping security
The conference is organized for the participation of a wide range of didactic and scientific employees and practitioners representing various environments and disciplines as well as fields of knowledge, taking into account the issues of broadly understood security and the Middle East subject.